Paper and board merchants
MMP Bristol Ltd (trading as Minuteman Press) recognises and embraces its responsibility to identify and reduce adverse impact on the environment resulting from its activities. Therefore, Minuteman Press trades only with paper and board merchants (eg Antalis McNaughton Paper Limited, Premier Paper Group and GF Smith) who comply with applicable environmental legislation and requirements.
The stock used by Minuteman Press is sourced from sustainable forests managed by European environmental legislation compliant organisations. Products are Forestry Stewardship Council (FSC) www.fsc.org certified and meet the requirements of the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification Schemes (PEFC) Chain of Custody www.pefc.org.
Digital press toner
Konica Minolta printer toner employed in digital printing is Simitri HD polymerised toner. Simitri HD has a significantly lower environmental impact during its production, use and recycling than conventional pulverised toner. The toner requires a lower fusing temperature and thus reduces energy consumption.
No inks are used in the digital print process.
100% of toner cartridges and bottles are recycled. All toner is non-toxic and non-hazardous.
Konica Minolta adopted IH technology to design an energy-efficient fusing unit. With conventional heating the standby temperature must be kept high to ensure a short warm-up period to the required fusing temperature. This consumes a significant amount of energy in standby mode. Heating the fusing unit by applying induction heating remarkably reduces energy consumption. The required temperature is reached much faster and can be controlled precisely, resulting in minimised energy loss.
Offset press inks
Where available the inks used in offset printing are Pur-Bio soya based, formulated with soy and other vegetable oils. Pur-Bio is hydrocarbon solvent free.
Specific Minuteman Press supplier criteria are as follows:
- An ISO14001:2004 compatible Environmental Management System
- ISO 9001:2000 Quality Management System
- Regular monitoring and action to improve environmental performance
- A published corporate environmental policy
- The adoption of all practical measures to prevent pollution
- Communication of corporate environmental policy to all personnel
Plastic carrier bags
Sorry, we refused in 2006 to supply plastic carrier bags. Orders for plastic carrier bags are not accepted. One day all organisations will implement this policy.
We ceased using disposable cups in 2008. One day all organisations will implement this policy.
Where possible, Minuteman Press use their electric bicycle fleet for local Bristol deliveries (non-electric bicycle deliveries since 2008), in an effort to cut down carbon emissions, reduce pollution and improve air quality. Minuteman were multiple winners of the combined (North Somerset, Bristol, South Gloucestershire and Bath and North-East Somerset Big Commuting Challenge.
Peter Wise is responsible for environmental strategy at Minuteman Press. The environment and sustainability is of special interest to Peter’s background.
- Fellow and Past Regional Deputy Chairman of the Royal Geographical Society www.rgs.org
- Public Relations Director of the Forest of Avon www.forestofavon.org
- Worked with Professor Michael Braungart in the development of the world’s first manufactured product to be designed using the Cradle to Cradle Design Protocol (the Mirra office chair) www.mbdc.com
- Interviewed on BBC Radio 4’s flagship environment programme ‘Costing the Earth’ for the episode entitled ‘Designed for Life’ which is downloadable www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
Minuteman Press is not responsible for the content of external websites.
Minuteman Press recycle 93.4% of all waste generated. The target is 100% subject to the expansion of local authority facilities.